Auditions & Casting Calls
Merlyn Productions is committed to giving performers of many different ages and levels of experience the opportunity to appear on stage, creating a situation whereby upcoming actors – and even first-timers – can hone and develop their craft working alongside seasoned professionals.
As part of this philosophy, many of our plays are cast via auditions open to the public, and also offer opportunities to work in various departments "behind the scenes".
Updated: December 1, 2018
- There are no auditions currently scheduled. Please check back periodically.
Merlyn Productions is seeking an individual with a passion for stagecraft and community theatre to assume the position of TECHNICAL DIRECTOR on its Company Staff!
The Technical Director (TD) supervises the execution of each production's technical designs within the parameters set by its artistic vision. His work is chiefly concerned with scenery: leading its planning, construction, transport, set-up, and tear-down.
Reporting directly to the Artistic Director, this is considered to be one of the most key positions in the day-to-day operation of the theatre company, and is held on a voluntary basis.
Due to the status and training involved, the requested commitment is for the entire season (i.e.- a calendar year), not show-by-show. However, selected applicants will first have the opportunity to work on an upcoming production on a trial basis.
Interested individuals should review the following PDF for detailed information:
- Technical_Director_(2018).pdf (3 pages, 271 KB)
N.B.- The above document is written for a single TD, but given the right combination of interested applicants, the AD is amenable to the idea of bringing onboard both a Technical Director and an Associate Technical Director to share the responsibilities of the position as a "technical team".
To express interest: e-mail Artistic Director John Chase at firstname.lastname@example.org with production résumé (if available), or telephone 204-415-2714.
Merlyn Productions does not retain a permanent stage management staff, but seeks one out on a per-show basis: providing regular opportunities to become significantly involved in local live theatre "behind the scenes".
The company welcomes expressions of interest from potential future stage managers at any time.
The typical stage management team consists of:
- STAGE MANAGER (SM) -
- Supervises the cast & crew. In rehearsal: serves as the Director's right-hand, and maintains the prompt-script. In performance: oversees the running of the show, and the calling of light & sound cues from the control booth.
- ASSISTANT STAGE MANAGER (ASM) -
- Provides general assistance to the Stage Manager throughout the production run, and manages the backstage area during performances: supervising curtain pulls, scene shifts, and other onstage technical changes.
Reliability and punctuality are a must. Prior production experience is considered an excellent asset, but not required — the company will train suitable candidates.
Rehearsals begin 4 to 5 weeks prior to show, and are scheduled on 2 or 3 weekday evenings between Monday and Thursday, plus Sunday afternoons.
- The Stage Manager typically attends all studio rehearsals (unless any are to be covered by an ASM).
- The Assistant Stage Manager typically attends only a minimal number of studio rehearsals.
- Both must attend technical rehearsal, dress rehearsal, and all performances.
If necessitated by availability constraints or other factors, the position of Stage Manager can be divided between two individuals: a Rehearsal Stage Manager (RSM) who performs SM duties while the show is rehearsing, and a Production Stage Manager (PSM) who takes over for the production run.
To express interest in stage managing with Merlyn Productions, e-mail email@example.com or call 204-415-2714. Résumé of past theatre experience, if available, should be forwarded to the same.